Nurse Extern Program
Summer 2019 applications open March 4, 2019. Application deadline is April 12, 2019.
- College transcript required: Must be within 1 year of graduation in a nursing school with a 3.0 accumulative GPA
- Letter of recommendation from a Nursing Professor or Nursing Department noting good standing with current collegiate curriculum
- Current BLS for HealthCare Provider certification (or obtain prior to the completion of orientation)
Nursing is a practice that requires a balance of theoretical knowledge and the application of that knowledge. The Nurse Extern Program provides nursing students an opportunity to apply academic theory to an actual hospital setting. As an extern, the student would be able to expand their clinical experience by assisting in the provision of a wide variety of patient care activities under the direct supervision of a licensed Registered Nurse. We believe this program helps the nursing student to gain confidence, knowledge, and real experience in a clinical setting that will facilitate the transition from the role of student to the role of professional nurse.
- The extern will work a minimum of 24 hours per week for the 10 week paid externship program.
- All clinical externships will complete 2 week rotations through the Emergency Department, Women’s Services, Medical-Surgical, Surgery/Same Day Surgery, and the Critical Care Unit.
- The extern will be expected to work the schedule of a designated preceptor(s), possibly including weekends and/or nights.
- Upon completion of the program, the extern may choose to apply for a Care Partner position, if available.
- The extern will NOT be allowed to engage in independent nursing responsibilities as outlined in the Tennessee Nurse Practice Act.
Jana Payne, BSN, RN, CCRN